Physical Education (PE) Curriculum Statement
We aim to provide opportunities for children to become physically confident in ways which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities builds character and resilience. It helps to embed fairness and respect. Our aim is to provide a broad range of physical activities so that children go on to lead healthy, active lives.
At St. Hugh’s:
- Children receive specialist teaching from our PE coach. This includes extra coaching in athletics for our more able children.
- Children are able to take part in a variety of competitions.
- Y6 children receive top-up swimming lessons to ensure that as many as possible are able to swim 25 metres.
- Children have opportunities to take part in a range of extra-curricular sports clubs.
- We provide a PE kit and bag for every child to ensure they are all able to take part.
- We fully fund a residential trip for every child in Y6.
- We are part of LSSP (Liverpool School Sports Partnership) which means that we are able to enter competitions and provide extra opportunities for the children such as yoga, balanceability (for Reception) and some extra activities for children with SEND or for children who are reluctant to take part in physical activity.
- We have invested in new climbing equipment for the KS2 children to encourage them to have active and enjoyable playtimes.